Biography of Westinmoreland House

basket of flowers divider our house

« Hatching Day | Main | Some New Farm Members »

divider

July 27, 2005

Dewormer for Chickens

Seems like everyone we have spoken to has never heard of chickens getting worms. I guess when their chickens just are not behaving normal, and their tails are down, they just figure they are under the weather or something. Well its no wonder some people "always lose a few" as it was once told to us. Well for those who don't know, chickens DO get worms/parasites. When your chicken seems to lack energy, its tail is down, roosters stop crowing, they begin to get thin, and/or open thier mouth and see strange ring-like blisters in the back of thier throat, most likely your chicken has worms. We learned that keeping the coop clean on a regular basis helps the chances of your chicken getting worms, but they also say if your chickens roam the same ground year after year you increase your chances of the chickens getting worms.
Now let?s say your chicken does have worms, what can one do? Well first off if you are at a feed store you can pick up a bottle of Pig Swig, which is a pig & poultry dewormer. But if you are like us and found our 3 roosters near dead from a bad infestation of worms, we needed some dewormer ASAP, but it was late Saturday and no feed stores were open and no prospects to be open until Monday. So I jumped on my computer to find a solution. What was it that pig swig contained to kill the worms? Well its called Piperazine salts. And I had come to find that almost all over the counter dewormers for animals are Piperazine salts. I happened to have a bottle of cat dewormer and the ingredient? Piperazine salts, so we threw some of the cat dewormer into the water for the sick chickens. Thankfully they are recovering nicely. We have already lost of a few chickens with the first outbreak some time ago since we had no idea what was wrong with them.
So next time you notice your rooster quits crowing, or his tail is down, or he almost coo's at you as if for a cry for help, or he seems to be very tired and maybe even falls over when he is "running" from you, or seems awfully skinny, you might want to throw some dewormer in his water and feed him something high in protein such as dog or cat food.

divider

Comments (3)

Deanna:

Poor chickens, I really didn't think they could get worms...but I guess pretty much anything living can get them huh?

Posted by Deanna | August 8, 2005 4:35 PM

Posted on August 8, 2005 16:35

Nusi:

Thanks for the info, i think you just explained what my flock has been suffering from. I started taking in rescue chickens about a year back and they were all very skinny. I have been feeding them generously for a year and they haven't put on much weight. A couple of months back, the rooster stopped crowing.

They are all free range chickens but within a fenced area. I am going to deworm them and i hope that is the solution.

Thanks so much for all the info. I am a first time chicken owner but have done animal rescue for over 20 years. I decided to start with the chickens as there seemed to be a lot of people getting baby chicks as pets and then getting rid of them at around 5 months of age.

Posted by Nusi | November 18, 2007 4:27 AM

Posted on November 18, 2007 04:27

Jessica:

Nusi ~ I indeed hope it is the problem - since that would mean you have a solution! It was for our chickens since they all recovered from it after deworming them. I know it can be frustrating to watch your flock get sick or even die one after another.
Cant believe people would get a baby chick as a pet and then get rid of it! Thats great you have been taking them in! We loved just having chickens around. We really miss that right now. We haven't been able to get back to chicken raising since we moved to Kentucky back in January. But its on the "list of things to do". =)
I really hope your chickens get better! Thanks for stopping and dropping me a line!

Posted by Jessica | November 22, 2007 1:36 AM